Room as Theater
FORM FOLLOWS FUNCTION FOLLOWS FANTASY
This conceptual children’s room exploring the idea of room as theater is embodied by the following:
- The floor is a map, an abstraction of the earth.
- The walls are tactile surfaces, on which sets can be tacked.
- The ceiling reflects the sky.
- The organic furniture is designed to have long term uses and promotes fantasy.
- A large mirror reflects the transforming characters.
- Pegs, lining the hallway, display assorted costumes.
- Lighting is ambient except for those on the towers.
- Colors are subtle and reflect earth tones.
A Young Child’s Bedroom
- The room is totally child safe, low to the ground.
- A futon replaces the bars of a crib.
- The theme is sky and light and freedom as well as unlimited potential.
- The closet is multi-purpose with room for an art table with storage.
- The toys are all age appropriate, artistic and beneficial towards the child’s development.
- Later, as the child matures, the futon is replaced by a bed-knock…a cozy and secure space for sleep and relaxation.
- A mural is painted in this area depicting a fantasy rural scene.
Children’s Art Room:
- Simple wood furniture in subtle colors dominates the room.
- Wood blocks stimulate the child’s imagination.
- A sculptural red rocking horse as well as classic antique toys introduces the child to art, culture and history.
Family Play Space and Music Room:
- The theme is Southwestern Cowboy…. suitable for children but sophisticated enough for adults.
- The central table creates a drumming circle where family and friends gather to create music.
- The furnishings are multi-purpose, artistic and scaled for children as well as adults.
Children’s Discovery Room:
- Hand painted stenciled wooden blocks are used to create a pedestal for a train set.
- The decorations introduce the child to world culture and history.